The site was formerly part of Leeds Central railway station which was opened in 1854 as a joint station between the London and North Western Railway, the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, the Great Northern Railway and the North Eastern Railway.
It replaced the cramped LNW terminus at Wellington Street, which had opened in 1848 with the line to Dewsbury. It closed in 1967, when its services were moved to Leeds City station to consolidate all of Leeds train services in one station.
The station was not architecturally distinguished and was built above street level. The Central station site has also since become a Royal Mail sorting office, latterly being redeveloped into the West Central residential development.
To the east of the former Central Station the Great Northern Railway Hotel was constructed in 1869 providing accommodation to railway passengers. This became The Wellesley Hotel before its recent conversion to residential units and change of name to City Central.